3000 CFM to 400,000 CFM capacity range.
1″ to 17″ Total pressure Capability in single stage units.
Up to 81.5% Total Efficiencies.
13 Fan Sizes.
22″ through 84″ Wheel Diameters.
98 cataloged DIRECT DRIVE fan and motor combinations.
CONSTRUCTION AND PERFORMANCE
EXTERNALLY ADJUSTABLE O-RING BLADES
The Adjustax O-Ring blade provides the ability to custom set blade positions without removing the wheel and/or nosepiece to provide maximum efficiency for specific requirements and the flexibility to field ad¬just for known future needs and/or balance systems with the minor corrections often needed for the un¬predictable installed system variations. This versatility and longer life without complexity, special tools or excessive cost are exclusive (patent pending) with Canada Blower
The O-Ring blade design provides adjustability with¬out disturbing the structural integrity provided by the factory-torqued, blade attaching bolts. The blades are hand adjustable from the fan inlet or, for ducted inlet installations, a blade access door in the fan housing can be furnished along with a simple socket wrench tool to conveniently grip the blade for hand adjustment. After adjustment, it is not necessary to RPB-torque the blade attaching bolts.
Although the blade can be intentionally turned by hand, it will not inadvertently turn in actual operation. When the wheel is at rest, the torque on the blade attaching bolts is calibrated to prevent all but intentional blade adjustment. When the wheel is in rotational operation, the friction between the blade and wheel hub is increased by centrifugal force holdingthe blade steady to prevent any change in blade setting. The O-Ring is made of resilient *VITON® material. This durable material will last the lifetime of the wheel while serving as a vibration isolator to dampen the transmission of the air and mechanical vibrations between the blades and wheel hub. Since vibration is the chief cause of material fatigue, this reduction of vibration results in substantially increased useable lifetimes for all applications.
Experienced design, engineering, research and production know-how are complemented by extensive tooling in the construction of Type ‘S’ Adjustax Fans.
Housings of Adjustax Fans are heavy gauge, welded steel, flanged for easy, accurate duct installation. Neither wheel nor motor protrudes beyond housing, permitting easy removal from duct system for maintenance purposes.
Stationary curved guide vanes, integrally welded within housing and located on the discharge side of the wheel, substantially straighten the swirling motion of the air leaving the fan blades, recovering rotational energy, increasing fan efficiency, reducing power requirements and decreasing sound generation. These guide vanes also provide rugged support for the flanged motor mounting face plate.
High strength cast aluminum air-foil shaped blades and cast aluminum hub are standard wheel construction. Close clearances between blade tips and housing contribute to high fan efficiency. Manual blade adjustment can quickly be accomplished without removing wheel and/or nosepiece coverplate.
Drive motors are severe duty, totally enclosed, air-over construction, built to rigid Canada Blower pecifications and designed to operate without modification in normal industrial applications. The use of round frame, end shield mounted motors with frame diameters not larger than the fan wheel hub contributes to the extremely high mechanical efficiency of the Adjustax
Grease supply lines brought to Alemite fittings on outside of fan housing are standard.
Support legs for floor, wall or ceiling mounting are readily available as an optional accessory.
IN STANDARD AND
Steep rising pressure characteristics ensure stable operation in both single and parallel fan applications. Limit-Load horsepower characteristic eliminates over-size motor selection by rising with capacity at a decreasing rate in normal operating range. Stationary vanes are engineered to reduce air turbu-lence and partially recover the rotative energy im-parted to the air by the wheel. This provides a high mechanical efficiency (low noise level) over a broad operating range.
Sizes, Capacities, Designs & Pressures
From 15″ to 96″ (15 sizes) Capacity range from 1500 cfm to 300,000 cfm with total pressure to 41/2″ Design I – 14,800’/min. tip speed Design II 18,000’/min. tip speed
Standard Arrangements (as illustrated)
Vaneaxial Arr. 9 (V-Belt Drive) Vaneaxial Arr. 4 (Direct Drive) Tubeaxial Arr. 4 (Direct Drive)
Modified Arrangements (see back cover)
Clamshell®Arr. 9 (V-Belt Drive) Spraybooth Arr. 9 (V-Belt Drive) Also FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester) construc¬tion in both Arr. 4 & 9.
A choice of wheels is available in both welded steel and non-spark one piece airfoil cast aluminum con-struction. Pertinent factors are detailed on page 8
DIRECT DRIVE UNITS Motors supplied onj3£Sal<\Type B direct drive axials are identical in construction to” totally enclosed, air-over severe duty motors furnished on Type ‘S’ Adjustax except that standard foot mounted NEMA frames are used in lieu of round frame end-mounted. Standard totally enclosed, fan-cooled motors can be supplied. However, the cooling effect of the air passing through the fan casing over the motor permits using “Air-Over Motors” which provide totally enclosed or explosion-proof motor construction at only slightly higher cost than an open type motor and at a materially lower price than a standard fan cooled, totally enclosed or explosion-proof motor.
BELT DRIVE UNITS Conventional drip-proof, totally-enclosed, fan-cooled or explosion- proof fan cooied motors can be furnished on Canada Blower type B belt- driven axials. Mechanical and electrical modifications, normally available for standard motors, can be supplied.
VANEAXIAL vs. TUBEAXIAL FANS
Any propeller or axial flow type wheel imparts a rotating or screw action to the leaving air. At low pressure, this type of air flow straightens out in a short distance from the tubeaxial fan. The Canada Blower Tubeaxial fan shown above is available in direct drive construction with the wheel overhanging the motor shaft.
With stationary guide vanes located directly behind the fan wheel, air turbulence is reduced substantially and rotative energy imparted to the air by the wheel is recovered partially. The result is an increase in efficiency … with a straight “Bee-Line” air flow leaving the fan for quieter operating conditions.
AXIAL FAN WHEELS
A variety of wheels are available in both steel and one piece cast aluminum construction for maximum efficiency and optimum performance. Three different blade angles are available for both direct and V-belt drive applications. Type LB, low angle wheel, results in maximum pressure for a given capacity. Type MB, medium angle standard wheel, covers the majority of fan requirements. Type HB, high angle wheel, provides maximum capacity at full design speed. Wheels are keyed to shaft and secured in place with locking stud or nut with cotter pin for either vertical or horizontal operation. Low noise level is assured thru the use of a stream¬lined airfoil blade section.
Fan sizes 1 5″ thru 43″. Steel wheels with die formed blades welded to a streamlined die-formed hub.
Fan sizes 1 5″ thru 24″. Aluminum Wheels available in one-piece cast aluminum construction with integral spinner.
Fan sizes 1 5″ thru 43″. Steel wheels with die formed blades welded to a streamlined die-formed hub.
Fan sizes 28″ and larger. One-piece cast aluminum with removable spinner.
A Variety of Accessories and Modifications
INLET AND OUTLET CONE adapts duct connection while providing a regain in static pressure
VARIABLE INLET VANES provides accurate volume control without reducing fan performance.
VORTEX BREAKER breaks up inlet vortex to stabilize air flow
INLET BOX Canada Blower exclusive to efficiently direct air into fan at right angles and accurately predict performance. Aids in installation where space and location are factors. Minimum loss. Dependable.
SOUND ATTENUATORS A packaged unit for use in applications requiring quiet operation.
BELT DRIVE with motor mounted outside air stream, these units provide a wide range of fan speeds.
1. INLET AND OUTLET CONES are heavy gauge steel designed with drilled inlet and outlet flanges for at¬tachment to fan casing and ductwork. Cones are avail¬able with access doors.
2.INLET BELL minimizes entrance losses for optimum air flow. Bells are flanged and drilled to match fan casing companion flange. Inlet bells are not designed to support fan in vertical arrangement and are shipped separately.
3. SUPPORT LEGS are of heavy steel plate securely attached to fan casing and properly braced for fan rigidity. Legs are normally mounted on the casing opposite the motor unless otherwise specified.
4. SUSPENSION CLIPS consisting of a fabricated angle or plate with gussets are welded to the fan casing for suspension of the unit.
5. BELT GUARD for V-belt drive and motor sheave protection is of lock form construction bolted to fan housing, easily removable for inspection and main¬tenance.
6. WEATHER PROOF MOTOR AND DRIVE COVER is fabricated sheet steel lock form construction arranged for bolting to fan housing and provided with slots for motor ventilation.
7. SHAFT SEAL at wheel end bearing of inner cylinder consists of a cover plate over the bearing with felt seal at the shaft. A shaft seal does not make the inner cylinder gas tight.
8. SCREENS for fan, cone or bell are fabricated of galvanized iron.
9. HIGH TEMPERATURE CONSTRUCTION ARR. #9 Standard fans are suitable for a maximum temperature of 180 deg. F. For construction 325 (steel or aluminum wheel) heat stabilized bearings are furnished. For construction 450 (steel wheels only) heat stabilized bearings, heat slinger and reversed air flow construction are required. Reversed air flow vaneaxial fans should be rated as Tubeaxial fans.
ARR. #4 Arr. #4 fans are standardly furnished with totally en¬closed air-over motors suitable for maximum air tem¬perature of 100 deg. F- Refer motor data for higher temperature application.
10. SPARK RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION is available in two different types. Standard fan with aluminum wheel or standard fan with an integrally bonded bronze tipped steel wheel. The special steel bronze tipped wheel was specially developed for spray booth fan application. Special fusion process was developed to give proper bonding strength between the bronze tip and steel blade.
Canada Blower TYPE “VPS” ADJUSTAX Controllable Pitch Vaneaxial Fans
Variable volume air handling capability is virtually mandatory for any large system where building usage does not require constant airflow rates. This is true of both new construction and on retrofit applications designed to lower air conditioning and ventilating operating costs. Currently, variable air volume is being obtained by the use of in-flight controllable pitch axial flow fans, such as the Canada Blower Type VPS, with centrifugal fans fitted with variable inlet vanes, and by the use of centrifugal fans and fixed blade axial fans fitted with variable speed motors or vari¬able speed drives. Each method has select merits, based on the system design and the engineer’s objectives.
Tho Canada Blower Type “VPS” Adjustax Controllable Pitch Axial Flow Fan is engineered to provide optimum performance, for fans of this type, on applications where a controllable pitch axial fan is the fan of choice.
HOW IT WORKS
Canada Blower Type “VPS” Adjustax have an internal blade pitch adjustment mechanism. Low pneumatic pres¬sure, acting on a flexible control diaphragm, adjusts blade pitch which, in turn, controls airflow. This mechanism responds with accuracy to system control input and has proven trouble free over an extended service life. An internal pitch control mechanism isolates actuation thrust from being imposed on the motor or fan bearings. The precision machining of the actuator mechanism assures no change in the dynamic balance of the fan throughout the actuator travel range.
WHERE TO USE IT
Canada Blower type “VPS” Adjustax, both direct and belt driven (arrangement 4 and 9) bring variable ait- volume capability to air conditioning, heating and ventilating applications, as well as process control air, where the inherent advantages of an axial type fan are required. These advantages include favorable weight, compact size and ease of installation. The Canada Blower Type “VPST Adjustax is available as a fan section component in Canada Blower Model K Air Handling Systems, in Big Canada Blower steel and aluminum construction high capacity cabinets, and as a component fan for use in new field built-up systems and for variable air volume retrofit applications. The arrangement 9 configuration is ideal for applications where commercially available motors are desired, where the motor must be kept out of the airstream, or where the required ratings may change significantly over the life of the installation.
SIZES AND CAPACITIES
NUMBER OF FAN SIZES – 9 (29″ through 72″ diameters) NUMBER OF HUB SIZES – 3 (Designated B, C, & D) PRESSURE -.4 in. wg total pressure to 12 in. wg total pressure. CAPACITIES – From 4000 cfm to 225,000 cfm
1. The fan casing shall have a minimum thickness of 8 ga. and may be painted or coated in accordance with costumer requerments. 2. The impeller blades shall be cast in heat-treated aluminium alloy. They will be mounted in thrust bearings housed so that the bearings are completely immersed in grease at all times 3. The impeller hub shall be cast in high-strenght aluminium alloy 4. The fan shall deliver the volume and pressure specified in the scheduled fan duties when tested in an AMCA approved labaratory in accordance with AMCA Standard 210-74 whitin the appropriate tolerances. The Blades shall be actuated by a pneumatic actuator build into the hub to give stepless control of pitch angle with-out adding thrust load to motor bearings. The control pneumatic pressure shall be in the range of 3 psi-15 psi for the blade adjustments required. The impeller hub design shall provide blade movement by internal actuation. Internally mounted motor (Arr. 4) shall be TEAO, flange mounted downstream of the impeller to provide minimal aerodynamic obstruction and optimum air-over cooling. 6. A pilot positioner shall be provided to ensure that there is minimal control hysteresis. 7. A blade angle indicator shall be fitted to the outside of the fan casing. 8. The impeller shall be statically and dynamiclly balanced at the factory and the assembled fan and motor balance checked horizontally at both fan flanges with the afn suspended with a near zero degree of freedom in the horizontal plane. The peak vibration shall not exceed 1,2 mils displacment (peak-to-peak) at the fan rotational speed at either end of the fan housing over the full blade pitch angle range. 9. The fan shall be adjusted at the factory so that the movement from the specified minimum pitch angle to a specified maximum pitch angle is within the control pressure range. 10. The aerodynamic design of the impeller shall give a non-overloading power characteristic within the normal operating range of the fan curve.
CLAMSHELL design accents accessibility. Full length doors, which open 180° provide ready access to the entire interior of the fan regardless of the length of the housing. The entire bearing assembly can be removed quickly and easily without removing the fan from the stack. Available, in arrangement 9, in diameters from
24” to 54″, the CLAMSHELL operates from 4,000 cfm to 90,000 cfm at up to 4″ SP. Standard design features and accessories include: Welded steel housing. Flanged inlet and outlet. Heavy-duty pillow-block anti-friction bearing with split inner cylinder. Belt fairing and adjustable motor base. Fabricated steel wheels.
axial fan wheels and accessories
A variety of wheels are available in both steel and one piece cast aluminum construction for maximum efficiency and opti¬mum performance. Three different blade angles are available for both direct and V-belt drive applications. Type LB, low angle wheel, results in maximum pressure for a given capac¬ity. Type MB, medium angle standard wheel, covers the majority of fan requirements. Type HB, high angle wheel, provides maximum capacity at full design speed. Wheels are keyed to shaft and secured in place with locking stud or nut with cotter pin for either vertical or horizontal operation. Low noise level is assured thru the use of a streamlined airfoil blade section.
EASILY REMOVED split-bearing fairing cover reveals entire bearing assembly. By removing bearing hold down bolts, the wheel shaft, fan sheave and bearings can be removed as an integral unit without removing fan from the stack.
ADVANCED DESIGN facilitates in-stack installation; eliminates need for heavy duckwork and extra expensive reinforcement.
Fan sizes 15” thru 43″. Steel wheels with die formed blades welded to a stream-lined die-formed hub.
Fan sizes 15” thru 24”. Aluminum wheels available in one-piece cast aluminum construction with integral spinner.
Fan sizes 48″ and 54″. Steel wheels, die formed blades and hide rein-forcing plate with blades welded between two parallel circular discs and integral hub.cement.
Fan sizes 28″ and larger. One-piece cast aluminium with removable spinner, available as an option.
SPRAYBOOTH fans are available as a standard in arrangement 9 in sizes 15″ through 21″. These fans are designed for use in spraybooth installations or in a variety of applications where requirements
make it necessary to clean the fan periodically. The SPRAYBOOTH covers ratings from 1,500 cfm to 15,000 cfm up to 4″ SP.
1. INLET AND OUTLET CONES are heavy gauge steel designed with drilled inlet and outlet flanges for attachment to fan casing and ductwork. Cones are available with access doors.
2. INLET BELL minimizes entrance losses for optimum air flow. Bells are flanged and drilled to match fan casing companion flange. Inlet bells are not designed to support fan in vertical arrangement and are shipped separately.
3. SCREENS for fan, cone or bell are fabricated of galvanized iron.
4. BELT GUARD for V-belt drive and motor sheave protection is of lock form construction bolted to fan housing, easily removable for inspection and maintenance.
5. WEATHER PROOF MOTOR AND DRIVE COVER is fabricated sheet steel lock form construction arranged for bolting to fan housing and provided with slots for motor ventilation.
6. SPARK RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION is available in two different types. Standard fan with aluminum wheel or standard fan with an integrally bonded bronze tipped steel wheel. The special steel bronze tipped wheel was specially developed for spraybooth fan application. Special fusion process was developed to give proper bonding strength between the bronze tip and steel blade.